The texture and taste is some where in between butter cake and sponge cake. It is not exactly as rich as butter cake neither it is light as sponge. It has the buttery aroma but not too heavy for your taste bud. Love it with the strawberry jam. It will definitely be better if only I can make my only strawberry jam, perhaps next time.
Victoria Sponge Sandwich
Adapted from Women's Weekly Australia
250g butter, softened
1sp vanilla extract
300g self-raising flour
1. Preheat oven to 170 degree. Grease two 8" round tin and line with baking paper.
2. Beat butter, vanilla and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Beat in egg, one at a time, follow by the milk.
4. Sift in the flour in 2 batches and fold in till just combined.
5. Divide equally into the 2 prepared tin and bake for about 30 mins.
6. Turn the tin top-side up on the wire rack to cool. After cooled, sandwich the sponge with strawberry jam and just with icing sugar.