Saturday, April 19, 2008

Southern Red Velvet Cake



This is also another one that I have been wanting to do. Recipe from Foodnetwork. I didn't manage to taste it. Red velvet cake usually should goes well with Cream Cheese frosting but I didn't have any in my fridge. Hence, I used chocolate frosting to sandwiched it and buttercream as the frosting. According to my cg, they loved the color and said it tasty too. I have made it into a cupcake instead of the whole cake.
I used my new tools, the silicon heart shaped cupcake from Wilton. It is about $19 for a set of 12, from Sun Lik. It is very easy to use and clean. A good investment here =)

Ingredient A
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon fine salt
1 teaspoon cocoa powder

Ingredient B
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
2 large eggs, at room temperature
2 tablespoons red food coloring (1 ounce)
1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Makes 16 cupcakes. Preheat the oven to 175 degrees celsius.

1. Sift all ingredient A together.
2. Mix all ingredient B together
3. Using a standing mixer, mix the A into the B until just combined and a smooth batter is formed.
4, Divide the cake batter evenly. Bake, rotating the pans halfway through the cooking, until the cake pulls away from the side of the pans, and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean, about 15 minutes.

No comments: