I decided to do some scones for my dad, so he can have them for this tea break. Easy to do and can simply add some fruits like raisins, cranberries, etc for variation. Lemon or orange zest are good too! Recipe from Australian Women's Weekly.
375g Self-raising flour
1 tbsp caster sugar
80g sultana (raisins)
2 tsp lemon zest (optional)
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup water (approx)
1. Preheat oven to 200 degree. Grease a 19cm square pan.
2. Sift flour and sugar in large bowl. Rub in the butter.
3. Stir in the sultanas.
4. Make a well in the centre and add in milk and almost all the water.
5. Use a rubbe spatula and mix. Knead on a floured surface till smooth. If it is too dry, add in more water till you get the consistency. (for me, i didn't have to add all the water.)
6. Press doughto about 2 cm thick and cut with round cutter.
7. Brush top with milk. And bake for about 15 mins. You can tap on the scones to check, if they are cooked, it should sound a little hollow.