Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Tiramisu

As mention in my earlier post, I'm going to attempt a decent birthday cake for Yah Lan. I'm doing a tiramisu. Tried making a small one a few days a go before I get on this big project. I thought I really wanted to doing something diy for her. As this is the first time, I attempt to do a decent looking cake, it didn't turn out pretty enough to meet my expectation. *cross my fingers* hope it will taste good to salvage the ugly looking cake. (-.-''') I will try to do it better next time. Please pardon me and I know Yah Lan will not mind lah. At least I have really tried my best.

This recipe is actually very easy. Got it from Imperial Kitchen forum. People are all raving about it. I didn't really try it myself, as I was too tired after that to eat it. =) Will definately do it again the next time. Thanks Cuisinette for this wonderful recipe.

Tiramisu / Viramisu by Cuisinette from Imperial Kitchen


For a good Tiramisu, please respect the liquid quantities given.
Use a baking tray that holds 22-24 laid down lady fingers. The tray should also have tall walls. Note: If "slim" lady fingers are used make only 3/4 quantity of liquid.

44-48 lady fingers... "fat" type.
Cocoa powder

Syrup:
180 ml water
180 ml milk
120 ml liquor… cacao or coffee (I used Baileys')
50 ml rum (alcohol not essence) (I used Baileys')
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 Tablespoons melted chocolate or chocolate syrup

Cream:
450 gr. mascarpone cheese (can use Philadelphia Cream Cheese)
450 gr. liquid whipping cream
3 egg whites (I used egg whites but if you want to avoid using ... disregard this ingredient) If you don’t use the egg whites divide the sugar half for the cheese and half for the whip cream.
200 gr. sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
30 ml liquor… cacao or coffee (I prefer cacao)
Roast the lady fingers in the oven at 160°C for about 5 minutes. (Optional)

Directions:
First make the cream and place in the refrigerator:
1. Beat very well the egg white + 1/3 sugar, until this is dissolved and egg whites appear very frothy as a meringue,
2. Next beat very well the whip cream + 1/3 sugar until sugar is dissolved, make sure you don’t mix it too much (whip cream can turn to curds if over beaten),
3. And last… beat very well the cheese + 1/3 sugar until is dissolved.
4. Combine all… add vanilla and the liquor… cacao or coffee. If you don’t use the egg whites divide the sugar half for the cheese and half for the whip cream.
For the syrup:
5. Place all the ingredients into a measuring cup and warm 30 seconds in the MW. It doesn’t need to be hot, just warm.
Assemble the cake:
6. Place a layer of lady fingers on the bottom of the baking pan, using exactly half the liquid sprinkle all over the lady fingers, make sure you don’t put too much in one side and less in other areas.
7. Take a tea strainer and powder with cocoa (about 1 full teaspoon-if needed more add as desire) all over the lady fingers.
8. Take 1/3 of the cream and place it in the middle of the cake. This is a little tricky… cream tends to stick to the spoon and get loose because of the cocoa powder. What I do, is push the cream towards the sides of the pan, until it touches the walls. The cream must touch the walls all around, and make sure the cream is spread well and no holes are communicating with the lady fingers bellow. We don’t want any liquid to go to the layer bellow.
9. Place next layer of lady fingers over the cream, sprinkle the rest of the syrup, sprinkle with cocoa and place the rest of the cream on top of everything.
10. Level well and sprinkle plenty with cocoa. Refrigerate over night.
Note: Some trays have rounded corner… try to trim the lady finger so it will fit in the curb.

No comments: