Thursday, July 29, 2010

Best Chocolate Cupcake Ever

I saw this recipe from Frosted Cakes and Cookies. She took the recipe off from Pioneer Woman website. Initially, I was quite skeptical about the recipe as it uses only cocoa powder. I thought how could cocoa powder be able to bring out the richness of chocolate. I was wrong.

Through a few recipes I've tried using only cocoa powder, with the correct method, its chocolate flavor is even more intense than to using melted chocolate. From Rose's book, I've learnt that in order to bring out the intensity of the cocoa flavor, you should mix the cocoa with hot boiling water. And it works! I was very please with the results.

Sharing with you this recipe that I tried with you. The cake texture was dense but very fine and very chocolatey. It stay moist for a few days in fact.


Makes 12 cupcakes

Ingredient A
125g plain flour
160g sugar
1/4tsp salt

Ingredient B
2 heaping tbsp of cocoa powder
115g unsalted butter
125ml (1/2cup) boiling water

Ingredient C
60ml (1/4cup) buttermilk milk 
1 egg, beaten lightly
1/2 tsp baking soda
1//2 tsp vanilla

1. Preheat oven to 170 degree. Prepare 12 cupcakes liner in muffin tray.
2. Combine flour, sugar and salt together
3. Melt butter in saucepan, add in cocoa powder and stir to combine (low-medium heat).Add boiling water into the mixture. Off the heat once you see bubbles forming.
4. Pour chocolate mixture into flour mixture (ingredient A)
5. Combined the ingredient C together. Stir into the chocolate/flour mixture.
6. Pour into the prepare liners and bake for 20 mins.

No comments: