I finally found the recipe for the type of cake base that I wanted! I have been searching for the past 2 weeks to look for a cake base that is soft and light. This is the one! =) I got it from Florence's blog. Below is the final version that I will use from now on, unless a better one comes along hehe.
Chocolate Chiffon Cake
(A)- Mixed well together
4 egg yolks
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp rum or kirsch (Optional)
60 castor sugar
(B)- Mixed together until the cocoa powder has melt
25g cocoa powder
85ml warm corn oil
135ml warm water
(D)- Sieve together
125g cake flour
1/2 baking soda
1/2 baking powder
4 egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar (Optional)
60g castor sugar
1. Pour (B) into (A).
2. Stir the warm water into yolk mixture.
3. Stir (D) into yolk mixture.
4. Whip egg whites in a clean mixing bowl until big bubbles are formed. Add in the cream of tartar and whip until white in color. Add in sugar over 3 times and whip until egg whites is stiff.
5. Pour 1/2 white into yolk mixture and blend well.
6. Pour yolk mixture into the remaining egg white mixture and blend well.
7. Pour batter into lined with baking paper round pan and bake at 175C for 45 minutes or until cooked.
8. Invert cake and leave to cool.