Recipe taken from All the matters => Rei. Chanced upon this recipe that was posted in Kitchen Capers. This is really good. The cake was soft, moist and light. Love the combination of the flavors. A tinge of yoghurt with flavorful lemon and cranberry. Nice! I will reduced the lemon juice by half that next time, prefer to have a lighter taste. I used cranberry from First Choice, it is too sweet. Will buy those counters type the next time. For the yoghurt, I used Magnolia low fat plain yoghurt, it worked very well. =)
As for my baking time, I was to kiasu, afriad that I will overbaked, hence the timing too short or maybe temperature too low. Will adjust the temperature slightly higher the next time. But at the end of the day, you should know your oven the best.
4 egg yolks
40g castor sugar
1/4 tsp salt
40g corn oil
120g plain yoghurt (Magnolia low-fat plain yoghurt)
2 tbsp lemon juice ( I will reduce to 1tbsp next time)
80g dried cranberries (used one that is not too sweet)
zest of 1 lemon
120g Cake flour
1/2 tbsp Baking powder
(Sieve 2 times)
5 egg whites
50g castor sugar
1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar
Preheat oven to 170 degree. Prepare a 21cm chiffon pan.
1. In a bowl, using hand whisk, whisk yolks and sugar till sugar dissolves.
2. Add oil and salt, whisk lightly and add yoghurt, lemon zest and lemon juice. Stir well with a rubber spatula.
3. Fold in sifted flour, cranberries and mix well. (Coat the cranberries with flour first)
4. In another bowl, using an electric mixer, beat till the whites are frothy. Add in cream of tartar and beat till soft peaks. Add in sugar gradually and beat till stiff peaks.
5. Fold in gently 1/3 of the whites into the yolk mixture using a rubber spatula till well mixed. Add in another 1/2 of the whites in the yolk mixture, fold well.
6. Pour the mixture to the remaining egg whites and fold in gently till incorporated.
7. Pour the batter into a 21cm chiffon tube pan. Level the batter. Bang the pan on the table to get rid of bubbles.
8. Oil a piece of aluminium foil and cover the pan loosely. Bake at 170 degree for 15mins.
9. Turn down the temperature to 160 degree and bake for 10mins.
10. Reduced temperatire to 150 degree, remove the foil and bake for another 10-15mins, till cooked.
11. Remove from the oven and invert the pan. Remove the cake from pan when it's completely cooled.