Monday, December 31, 2007
I manage to bake the 2 different recipe together and "bother" to compare the difference in taste. I am going to put in here the version that I have used too with tweaking from the recipes that I had put up earlier.
From Cupcake Bakeshop
Makes 30 regular cupcakes Temperature: 170C
200 gram bar of semi-sweet chocolate
3 sticks (343 grams) butter
400 grams sugar
1-1/4 cup (180 grams) flour
1/4 cup (30 grams) cocoa powder, unsweetened
1-1/2 teaspoons (7 grams) baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Chop chocolate and transfer into the bowl of a standing mixer.
2. Add butter to the chocolate and place the bowl over a pan of simmering water. Stir until chocolate melts and butter is combined.
3. Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Let mixture cool for 10 minutes.
4. Beat in an electric mixer for 3 minutes.
5. Add one egg at a time, mixing for 30 seconds between each
6. Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt into the mixture, return to the electric mixer, and mix until blended.
7. Scoop into cupcake cups and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
(I fill it half full, so that it comes out "levelled" for the frosting.)
Billy's Chocolate Cupcake
Yields 24 cupcakes Temperature 170C
225g unsalted butter
200g caster sugar
160g light brown sugar
4 large eggs
170g unsweetened chocolate
170g cake flour
20g cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup milk (room temperature)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Melt the chocolate over double boiler or microwave. Set aside to cool.
2. Cream unsalted butter, vanilla, granulated sugar and light brown sugar together.
3. Then add in the 2 eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add in the cooled melted chocolate into the mixture.
4. Sift flour and soda together.
5. Alternately add in the flour and milk in 3 separate portions.
6. Line the cupcake paper. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until tester comes out clean.
Verdict: After tweaking the Billy's recipe, the taste is richer and better than the original according to my personal preference. Billy's has a very soft texture, while CBS' is very light and crumbly but not as soft as Billy's. I will think it is just a little close to the muffins texture The taste between the both is about the same but texture wise, I prefer Billy's.
I will be posting the frosting recipe in a separate post. =)